Every child in an infant school is entitled to a 'universal free school meal'. Therefore, all our children are offered a daily free school meal.
The government also allocates additional funding to schools in the form of 'Pupil Premium'. One of the criteria used to calculate Pupil Premium funding is the number of pupils at school who receive Free School Meals (FSM) which is not the same as a universal free school meal as mentioned above. In common with most schools it is likely that a number of parents/carers whose children attend Nether Green Infant School fail to claim FSMs, even though they are entitled to them.
You may be entitled to claim FSMs for your child, he or she may well be able to access some things in school free of charge such as:
- financial support to purchase items of school uniform
- financial support for educational trips, visits, visitors
- financial support for extra-curricular clubs such as Art
- access to additional support for your child's learning and/or well being
The school gets up to £1,320 additional funding (Pupil Premium) to support your child/s education and can help to buy new equipment and resources. Money is only paid if you apply for free school meals and are confirmed to be entitled
In order to claim FSMs a parent/carer must be claiming one of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- income based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income related Employment Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit as long as you have a yearly household income of less than £16,190 (as assessed by HM Revenue and Customs) and do not get Working Tax Credit
- Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- Universal Credit (from April 2018 this will be subject to an earnings cap)
If you think that you are eligible to apply for FSMs for your child, or if you are not sure, you can contact Sheffield City Council Free School Meals Administration team on 0114 273 5705 or it's quicker, easier and secure on line via the 'Education' page on the Council website: sheffield.gov.uk. Our school office staff are also able to apply on your behalf. .Please make sure you have your National Insurance Number, names and date of births of your children.
Click here for our most recent report.